Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Watching Over The City

And the men of the city said unto Elisha, Behold, I pray thee, the situation of this city is pleasant, as my lord seeth: but the water is naught, and the ground barren. So the waters were healed unto this day, according to the saying of Elisha which he spake.
                                                                   2 Kings:2:19-22: 


There is one thing I like about the prophets of old, they earned the trust of their people and they truthfully respected that trust. They upheld the presence of God and always interceded on behalf of their people. Even in times when their God was in bad taste with them, these astute men of faith could not tarry in delivering an unpleasant message.

I remember at the time of repentance my God asked me who I do want to be. Of course Jesus was my immediate answer until He led me to see Jesus rather as my lifetime companion than a model. So I spent some weeks reading my Bible to find someone I'd want to be like. I found one, among many, in the books of old! His name is Nehemiah!

In the days when God's people returned to their land, I remember the services of Ezra as he conducted the census; Nehemiah as he architectured the rebuilding of the ruined city walls; and  Tobias and Samballat as the duo vehemently antagonized the project to save their own city.

Nehemiah's resolve to see to the end of what he started is my all time inspiration. As a prophet and king, the people of Judah found a rock as leader who led not only with far-sighted vision but also with mastery.

I heard God call out to my kindred to step forward to restore the devastations of old in the land of men -- Jacobu. It IS a tough call. The prophet-king shall have to stand in the chasm between the past and the future of the city whose men fell into silence after the war over some two generations ago. And the One must take the stance now, in the present hour!

One thing is for sure, The One shall be hated to be loved; derided to be revered; cursed to be blessed; persecuted to be worshiped. In the end, God shall honor every word to see to the fulfillment of the prophecy! Blessed is The One who shall respond to the call.

That night I sat with God till dawn. Those who kept us company were the moon, the stars and the cool night breeze. I saw the future of the land of my fathers, my motherland. In that panoramic vision, the foliage is green; the rivers never run dry; the forest giveth its best; food is in abundance; the mountains are still imposing; the land gives more than we know now - the gold kept spreading; there is a smell of oil; the skies are clear so I could see beyond the horizon. And I saw the rise of a new people. Their new name is the name of old - Jacobu. They are happy. Their marriage is sweet. The young people jump like an hare in the moonlit night. The children glitter like the morning sun. Their laughter lights up the city!

As we parted company, I opened my eyes and saw that the dust still prevail, the people are still divided, the kings are sleeping and the warriors have retired. The land is almost barren, our gold is in the hands of wrong people and children are begetting children.

Yet the walls shall be rebuilt! We too shall walk one the streets of gold like the new Jerusalem!

Elisha has spoken and the waters are healed!

No comments:

Post a Comment