Friday, February 25, 2011

Where I Belong

"A danger foreseen is half avoided." 
Thomas Fuller


Sooner or later we are going to be called on to declare where we belong or forever stay away when the sharing of the cake comes. I've been told all who want a better life must belong to one party or the other so should their candidate wins, the grass-root folks shall be attended to. Nothing is more shameful than this fact in Ghana politics.  Why at all must my community be neglected by government simply because it did not get enough votes from the electorate? 


I for one am into politics more than most of folks think of me. I love politics the same way I love philosophy, religion and history. If any one desires wisdom, these study disciplines must be on his/her finger tips. I don't just follow politics, I chase after its history, status quo and future prospects. It's almost a hobby.


I however refuse to be tied down by ordinary 'follow me' dogma where my conscience is suspended in exchange for party slogans, manifesto and their so-called ideology. To me what matters most is the development of my people vis-a-viz my community. I don't believe the destiny of Jacobu and the Amansie Central District lies in the hands of  some one political party.  I tell you not even Nkrumah could convince me to believe otherwise. Ghana shall surely move forward regardless of which party is in power. And so shall the lands of my fathers.


As a growing young man whose life is molded by years of poverty, lack and more lack, I am most  previewed to grass-roots life. The harshness, the filth, the squalor and the stench of neglect. I schooled under trees, mud houses, thatch roofs and clustered dusty classrooms. I lived in darkness all school life till some when in college. The last time time I travelled on a tarred raod into my beloved hometown was just about three years ago. And the list goes on.


I certainly need be told how deprived we are. We need not wait till a year before elections for some talk-free political superstars to come all the way from Accra to 'promise' us the good life or a better Jacobu. If as a people we fail to sit down and identify our weakness so to measure our strength, we shall forever be held in derision by these agents of polytricks. 


I always say we live in exciting times. Many fail to read the signs of the times. Some eleven years into the twenty-first century, who waits for some go-gay, universal get-developed-quick-manifesto from a bunch of disconcerted team whose main career is in propagating near-truths, untruths, and mischievous fallacies? People who wait four years for such shall always be disappointed. No wonder we are cut from what goes on on our behalf! How can any meaningful measure be put in place in my interest without my consent and involvement? Believe it or not, partisan politics is the common enemy just as colonialism was the common enemy during the independence struggle. Wake up people!


Imagine a summit of the Odoto clan, where kinsmen meet to decide their destiny. Imagine living in the community where our common bond is our common heritage as one people - Jacobites. Imagine my children and your children playing the songs we used to play and dance around with before the evil days of multi-party confusion. And come to the hilltop and see for yourself how pleasant it is to behold our new undivided rising. This is where I belong.


You are the right person to make that change. Be the change. Call me I will help.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with u,we must be the change we wish to see in our community

    ReplyDelete